Thursday, October 13, 2011

My nerves ate my brain

It's ironic to say that I don't have the time to blog, and yet the next minute.. I'm posting another one on the same day! Haha, but do cut me some slack. I'm having a pretty bad day. Okay, maybe not bad bad.. but just feeling down as I failed my own expectations.

So, I decided to pour out my disappointment now and start anew tomorrow! :D

Today was actually my first time speaking in Toastmasters. LOL It was not my first CC project speech yet; just a 2-3 min invocation speech to sorta introduce the theme of the meeting. Sounds simple, right? So, I took up that role just to warm myself up before my first speech.

And I guess I made an absolute right decision.

Because I totally blanked out. Yes, for a freaking two-and-a-half min speech!

My nerves took over entirely and my brain just refused to work at that crucial time! I mean, I remembered everything I wanted to say. I practiced beforehand and I was pretty well prepared when I went for the meeting. Obviously.. until the moment I stepped in front. I just went COMPLETELY BLANK.

Maybe because I was also the first speaker of the meeting. So, I was soooo nervous that all I could think about is how nervous I was, instead of what I was supposed to say. *gulp* Luckily, I did okay for the first half of my speech, while the second half... Well, I think the pauses were so long that the audience were sleeping already! LOL.

I know this is only my first speech and all, but I feel that I could have done much, much better than how I've performed today. No worries, I won't give up! After this, I'll let it go and move on.

I will do better next time. I am determined to overcome this stage fright no matter what!  
BRING IT ON!

3 comments:

lyw said...

problem wif talkative person (YOU); stil feel scared when give speech. me too la =p but to avoid go blank, juz look at one point in front of u above everyone else head (the wall behind), then can talk d. kambateiii la >.<

Anonymous said...

its normal to be like this on your first time..as you go on this will not be a problem for you anymore =) jia you and i know you can do it

zian

eevy said...

thank you!! that's pretty much what i need now: the vote of confidence. :)

i hope i will get better!